6/20/16

NASA in the Park


People in Huntsville are used to seeing rockets alongside our roads so space hardware in the park is not surprising (although I do admit that seeing a tank on a downtown street is a little disconcerting). This past Saturday I went downtown for the annual "NASA in the Park" event which is now being held at Big Spring Park. It began in 2014 as “NASA on the Square,” but it has outgrown the square and this year Team Redstone was added too. I love the addition of the Arsenal, which is currently celebrating 75 years in Huntsville

SCUD-B - Most widely deployed ballistic missile

I started in Big Spring Park West where Team Redstone was set up. I learned about all sorts of things including a high energy laser weapon, nanosatellites for military communications, and GPS jammers (handy hint - if your GPS receiver is being jammed, dig a 6-inch hole in the ground and place it in there - since the jamming signals are most likely horizontal it will be below them and still able to communicate upward with the satellites).


GATR Technologies inflatable ultra-portable tracking antenna -"The most portable 2.4-meter tracking antenna in the world." GATR has some of these outdoors in a fenced area. I always want to stop and take photos, but I'm afraid they'll think I'm up to no good!

Radiance Technologies' HELMTT - High Energy Laser Mobile Test Truck (Currently configured for a 10 kW class laser - soon to be 60 kW.)

HELMTT test subjects

The FBI's Hazardous Devices School brought this robot.

The Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association brought a “Huey Gunship” that flew in Vietnam 1968-1972.

The Kestrel spy nanosatellite weighs 33 lbs and takes pictures with a resolution of about 5 feet.

My first thought was, "Hey that kid shouldn't be climbing on there." Then I thought, "Really?! It's a tank. It had better be able to stand up to a climbing kid!"

Spectral characterization of targets and environments - I got to see myself in infrared.



NASA was set up in Big Spring Park East. They had the usual assortment of rocket engines and blow-up models, along with lots of other displays including a hurricane imaging radiometer, drones, and solar telescopes. 



Upper stage engine first used in the 1960's
Orion blow-up model
Space Shuttle Main Engine


Octocopter 
UAH rocket display

The Hamacon anime convention was going on across the street at the VBC so there were some costumed people around the park too.



There was also live music, antique cars, a fashion show, and food trucks in the park.











After getting my fill of military and space hardware, I walked up to the square to check out this year's Huntsville Open Putt Putt.




Just a few blocks away, the Rocket City Pride Festival was going on at the Historic Huntsville Depot. I headed over there to see a drag show in the evening. The Depot Roundhouse was rocking during this free, family-friendly show. It was standing room only; I think they need a bigger venue!  


So, I saw live music, NASA in the Park, a fashion show, an antique car show, Team Redstone in the Park, a putt putt golf trail, a drag show, anime characters, and food trucks, all within a few-block area. The organizations that have been working to liven up our downtown (such as Downtown Huntsville, Inc.) are doing a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment