1/1/16

Susan's Cabinet


This cabinet includes a porcupine quill, ostrich egg, 
fish vertebrae, bird and mammal skulls

Cabinets of Curiosities (also known as Cabinets of Wonder, Wunderkammer, Kunstkabinett, and Wonder-Rooms) arose in Europe in the mid-16th century as collections of objects of natural history, archaeology, geology, ethnography, history, art, and antiquities. They were considered to be microcosms of the world, or memory theaters, and they became the precursors to museums. I came across this information only recently and realized that this is exactly what I have been forming in my own home, and it explains my love of what I call “old-fashioned” museums, the kind with real objects in wood and glass display cases. My collecting began with travel mementos but expanded into natural history and other areas while homeschooling my three children (an incredible 2-decade experience in broadening my own horizons). My parents passed on to me a love of travel, exploration, learning, and roadside curiosities. My background in engineering is a result of an interest in science. Moving from California to Alabama gave me an appreciation of, and intense interest in, local history. My daughter opened the world of art to me, and that also led to an interest in architecture. Now, everywhere I look I see amazing and beautiful things – and I want to share them on this blog.

“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.” ~ Camille Pissarro


Some of my favorite shells and fossils
Travel mementos, antiques, insects, animal horns...

Geology drill samples, a piece of London Bridge, mineral samples, 
and a Mississippian era stone tool

No comments:

Post a Comment